The Western Center of Radiotechnical Surveillance (WCRS) is located not far from the city of Mukachevo in the Transcarpathian region.
The WCRS was created as a part of the NSFCTC for the implementation of the Order of Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine dated 09.09.2006 No. 388-p on the basis of a separate radio engineering unit, which was previously a member of the Missile Warning System of former USSR.
As part of the NSFCTC, the WCRS ensures operation of the Space Monitoring and Analysis System (SMAS), which is designed to collect, process and analyze data on space situation state, preparation and delivery to consumers the data about space situation, state and trends of its development.
The creation of SMAS is provided by the Decree of the President of Ukraine of March 4, 1997, No. 202/97 “On Measures for the Further Development of Space Technologies”. Activities on creation of SMAS are carried out within the framework of the National Target Scientific and Technical Space Program of Ukraine.
WCRS performs the following tasks:
- collecting, processing and analyzing information on the state of the space situation, obtained from national technical means of observation and from other sources; providing information to consumers on the identification of ballistic and space objects for the operational warning about sources of danger which are threatening to the national security;
- provision to consumers of the results of the space situation analysis, information on the identification of ballistic and space objects for the operational warning about sources of danger which are threatening to the national security;
- Maintenance of General Catalog of Space Objects and a Catalog Of Space Objects that are tracked;
- Participation in researches on peaceful use of outer space and increasing of the country’s defense and security;
- provision of measuring information to the ground control complex during spacecraft’s launch and orbit life;
- registration of information of global navigation satellite systems and supply of information to the Main and Reserve Centers of Navigational Field control of PTNSU, development and supply to consumers of local differential correction information.